Saturday, October 2, 2010

I'll Take the Blame.

There should be a rainbow in the sky today. It seems like a rainbow kind of day... The raindrops cavorting about diagonally; an onslaught of diminutive drops. Drops, dropping, dripping, dropped. And I can hear it, it's pounding on my tin roof. Isn't it always on the tin roof? Isn't there always a cacophony of sounds coming from the back room with the tin roof?

"Is it raining?"
"Is it ever?"

I remember when they told me you got hit by a bus. A bus, they said. Yes, a big bus. And you were dead. And you were gone, and you were never coming back. And I was alone and fat, fat and alone -- and miserable. Why was I miserable? Because you were hit by a bus. A big bus.
So, I went on through life alone. It was always raining. Or was it? Or was that just how I felt? I can hear the rain now, rain on the tin roof again. Snapping me back to reality, or is it not? How many times can I question authority?
And what of Albert? Ending his tiny life was like seeing yours ended, I hit him with my car, but you were hit by a bus. Splattered along the street. Dead alone and forgotten. But I never forgot.
You seemed to fade away into the fissure. The fissure in the street, or the fissure in life -- in the world. You faded away, either way.
And then one day when I stopped to think and remember, I remembered you -- and looked you up.

"Maybe there's a memorial page," I thought; hoped...

Yet, there you were -- alive and well, and with a baby.

So what of the bus? And the fissure? And the splatter? And the loneliness?
Where were you all this time?

You slipped into time, into a fissure, but not into Death.

I went back outside to see the rainbow.

There is no rainbow.
There never was, and there never will be.

1 comment:

  1. Such an interesting thought really..
    I enjoy musing the thought within my own mind that I have seen "almost everything"...I am so young yet so very keen, fine tuned with the world I suppose. And yet it is clear that I am ignorant to still so much. I can never say that I've experienced something as perplexing as this occurrence right here...in fact, if I had experienced it...I imagine that my head would have exploded from the it alone, and I may no longer be here. So odd that one you think faded and gone may unexpectedly return, and not only return but unharmed...it's as though you'd expect their return with tales of anguish and pain and the long perilous journey that was theirs as they escaped from hades grip...but no, they had never even gone...they've always been right there. Interesting, interesting thought. The return of the son that had died...or in this case, the daughter thought dead. It's a beautiful thing to be faced with the thought of death and instead find life. A very beautiful thought indeed.

    ReplyDelete